Wednesday, August 01, 2007

On being late...

No not the late you think. Okay wait...Let me start from the start....

The other day, my mom and I visited somebody. Who? That's not important. The thing is - being in Chennai, my mom has no friends, relatives here and she gets bored. She tries everything to make herself busy in activities of her interest. Now, there's a group called "Maharashtra Samaj" formed by Marathi people. They are putting up a skit. And my mom saw this as a good opportunity of keeping herself busy as well as meeting new people. It didn't work out. Why? Not because she can't act, as she has won prizes for her acting skill in her college days. And if you want another proof , then maybe you should see me act someday (ahem!). I get my acting skills from her! So why did she get rejected? Because she was late. She was 20 years late for that role. That role was for a 30-year old woman. But 20 years back my mom was so wrapped up in taking care of us, she could not find time for herself. And now when she has time, time is gone. Is this one of the little jokes of the so called Life? It's NOT funny!!!

Why does a woman have to sacrifice her life, her hobbies, her interests. Does she feel less? No I think it's because she feels more! And please don't give reasons like "thats-how-it-always-has-been" or"because-she's-a-woman". They are just crap! Utter crap! Why is it, that when a woman sacrifices her job, her career, her life its only expected from her; and when a man does it, people shower him with accolades?

Is this fair? Is this right? Is this how life of a woman should be just because she's a woman?
And let me tell you something ironic - this role was available only because the woman who was supposed to play this role cannot give time as her kids' exams are coming!!

I wish I could make a difference!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you cause my mother did a similar sacrifice to raise me and my sibling. But I will take this opportunity to bring to light the other side of the coin.

A very good friend of mine was under going the typical "kanda-pohe" process in a bid to find the man of her dreams. I was chatting to her on this one and jokingly asked her "have you know started learning to cook?". To my little surprised, she scornfully replied back, "Its not necessary these days, guys should learn to cook as well!!". Further during our conversation I suggested her that I have a friend who belongs to the same caste, looks decent, has a decent background, no bad habbits, etc etc. I told her if this sounds interesting to her, I can act as the mediator. She seemed interested and asked what does the guy do. "He is a computer graduate but currently does nothing. He doesn't have a job!". Not to my surprise this turned her off. I asked her why, but she did not have an answer. I argued, "you have a job, earn good money, you can meet him and work it out with him. He can take care of the household till he get himself a job". She just didn't want to talk on that anymore.

Why was it so? If its not necessary that women need to know cooking these days, is it necessary that a guy should be a bread winner before getting married?

If you feel the above example was off-track to what your blog tries to bring out, here is a quick explanation. Its your society and culture and also to a certain extent its values that make you do what you do. There are few things which a guy must do (w/o getting much appreciated) because "he is a man" and similar there are a few things a women must do (w/o getting appreciated) because "she is a women"!! I agree that much of it should change now, but beg to disagree that all should.