Monday, August 10, 2009

Is this for real?

That's what I thought in my head when I saw a friend request on orkut from my mom. Yea that's right - my mom. I almost fell off my chair when I saw the request. I called her up to confirm if it was really her or someone playing a prank on me. Turns out it was her. She was all chill about it, like yea I joined orkut, now I can keep a watch on you even there, watcha gonna do, types. Actually no, all these were my thoughts. She actually was all cool about it in a way like yea, I've been surfing the net for some years now, writing mails, booking movie, train, flight tickets, googling for things, didn't you see this coming? And she's right. I should have.

So what did I do after confirming it was her who sent the request. I scanned my profile, pics everything to see if there's anything that might offend her. Yea I know, she's all modern in a way to book movie tickets online, google "remedy of insomnia", sms her friends on friendship day and join orkut, but she still freaked out after watching Love Aaj Kal, and was questioning me if it was true that couples today really do all the "stuff" shown in the movie. Trust me I had a hard time trying to change the topic!Damn you Imtiaz Ali. It's weird with moms. One moment they are all modernized what with - "you should wear what you want", "it's okay that you left your previous boyfriend and now have a new one" and "oh I am okay with it.. live with boys if you have to", and the next one they are all "I am very shocked at what they showed in Love Aaj Kal, it's abominable and shameful, I hope you know what I am saying". Phew.

But they are adorable. Just so cute. And lately I am realizing so human:)
In fact if I was being interviewed by CNN and asked to name one human being I am most proud of? It would be this one. My mom. And she does not earn it just by being my mom. No sir. She earns it for being the extra-ordinary woman that she is. I haven't met anybody else who learnt and mastered swimming at the age of 50. Or who learnt to sms or surf the net all on her own(I did not teach her one thing about it). Or who is and always has been the sole point of contact between the rest of the members of family. A great manager-material wasted I would say.

It's not mother's day. Neither is it her birthday. It's just the day I am again reminded of how blessed I am to have her as my mother. And also the day when my mom joins orkut. I think I am going to scan my Facebook profile just in case she catches up with me there too. And thank god I am not on twitter yet!

Later.

6 comments:

Avanti Sané said...

Dude, I have my ma-in-law and a horde of kakus on my orkut friend list and Gtalk .

Initially it was cool, but it did start restricting my freedom of expression. You know, had to mind my language and stuff.

Also a reason for shutting down my blog.

Rambler said...

its like the time my manager added me on facebook, I can neither accept nor reject

Pari said...

Cherish the feeling :)

kundu said...

Shruts, emotional connection aside, do you know why mommy dear wanted to be your friend on orkut?

She wants to prowl on your accounts and see what her daughter is upto.

Which is nice actually. She cares about you. So yeah, your emotional stuff about her, is probably right.

Shruti said...

@Avanti - Ohh..I see. I know, I was afraid of the same things. For now my mom is not at all active, and I have no hopes of meeting any kakus online..ha ha!

@Rambler - I know!! I had the same situation. I accepted and then made sure I remember it all the time!

@Pari - I do. I am proud of her!

@Kundu - How kind of you to share your insight on my mother. Thankfully, the kind of relation we share doesn't require her to 'prowl' on my account or 'spy' on me!

kundu said...

My advices never stop right? :) How irritated were you at this point :)

Hey I apologize. I wasn't trying to be fresh. Or maybe I was. I was in a crazy crazy mood the night I landed on your blog ... some of your blogs just incited me to write :) ... but when I saw that song finally .. that senti stuff .. that got me. That's a nice song by the way.

And I do sing. I can sing in that same voice actually ...

Well what more can I say ... thanks again for replying back, even considering that this was worth replying :)

Ciao.