Saturday, January 21, 2012

Snippets of my (very random) thoughts


I feel really proud when my American colleagues travel to India for work and always describe their experience as amazing/scary. I am sure they are being kind to me, and that traveling to India evokes many more emotions in them - like pity of poverty, fear of traffic, flabbergasted(-ness) at the number of people, and many many more. Why do I feel proud? Every time someone tells me that, I remember this incident that happened to my sister. Born and raised in Indore, Madhya Pradesh, when she went for an MBA-entrance interview for a high end college in Mumbai, she was asked this question (no doubt by some snotty Mumbaikar, who thought everything starting from Borivali and the rest of the India is nothing but so-called "backward"  India) - "Why should we admit you to this school? Coming from a small town (since when Indore is "small", I have no idea, cos I always feel lost there) to Mumbai, how do you think you shall cope?". My sister, a proud Malwi, answered - "because, the difference between me and Mumbaikars is, I can come here and learn your ways, easily fit into the fast life, but if one of you were to go and try the same in Indore, you wouldn't stand a chance". Ha.

You can't be everywhere, and you can't do everything. It's that simple, and yet my mind refuses to understand this simple piece of information. I feel extremely stressed right now. Since Tuesday, my housekeeping started going down the hill. By Friday, the sink was overflowing with dirty utensils, the bedroom was covered in clothes lying everywhere, the dining table was full of "stuff", and the couches were all a big mess of cushions, throws, papers, measuring tape(?) and remote controls. I have not swept the house for 2 weeks now. Don't even get me started on the bathroom. AND I have a LOT of work stuff to catch up to this weekend. On the bright side though, I went to the Gym twice this week and spend some quality time with M yesterday.

Me: Shruti, you can't be everywhere, and you can't do everything!!
Me: I know, but I cannot live in this mess, but I also don't want to spend the entire weekend cleaning, and working.
Me: Just suck it up... 

4 comments:

HappyFeet said...

Same pinch. My house is a mess too! The other day I bunked office and made the guy work from home, in the hopes of doing up my place. At the end of the day, the house was messier than with what we had started. And right now, one room is packed messy that I ask the maid to not bother sweeping it.

I just told Hero a while ago, I will not be at peace until my house is pretty. He said 'hmmm'. Shoot him, someone!

Shruti said...

HappyFeet - Hehehe...Yep, I know how it is! Though M does a very good job of camouflaging his indifference, by saying yes to everything I say we should do (w/o any actions!). But, now I think he's a convert and has been talking to me about buying a rug for months (again, w/o any action)...

If the house is messy, I cannot think straight! It's extremely annoying to me! I am pretty anal that way..hahhaa...

Ms Whimsies said...

Hi Shruthi! know you from HappyFeet..

just wanted to stop by and let you know that you're not alone on this topic.. SAME pinch from me as well!! can't think straight if the house is messy. NO time on weekdays, and hate spending weekends only doing the cleaning-cooking stuff! have a big master plan to get around this, but again, my guy is only ALL verbal about it, still far...r from action!!

:))

Shruti said...

Ms Whimsies - Welcome and thanks for stopping by :)
It's great to know that what I feel is not abnormal. So far the only people I knew, that cannot deal with messy are "OCD" detectives on Television (Monk - great series btw)...hahaha

So what's your master plan? Maybe I can take inspiration from it...I need all the help I can get :)
About M - yes, he's all talk...and he doesn't ever argue back when I get mad at him for this. It's so hard to fight with someone like that...Such a pain :P