Monday, June 25, 2007

Hollywood v/s Bollywood

I think people who know me, would vouch for the fact that I absolutely love everything Indian. And I can give any (and believe me when I say "ANY") arguments to prove how India is better, or is improving at things. And I hate people who think foreign countries are better than India. Maybe they are in some respects, but they also NOT in many others!

Anyways, so at lunch today, me & my friends got into discussion about movies made in Hollywood & Bollywood. I recently saw Pirates of the Caribbean. It was a strictly-OK movie. And then there is our very own Shivaji-The Boss, released just a few days back which is a hot topic of discussion for people who make fun of...umm...'such' things. So I haven't seen it, but I'm sure it has all the all-too-famous "tricks & antics" of Rajnikanth. And while I too think it's funny, I hate it when people start comparing it(or any Bollywood movie for that matter) to Hollywood movies. I mean Johnny Depp has his own style, and many people like him. But the same goes for Rajnikanth, and many people DO like him too! I may not be one of his die-hard fans, but I feel that if people like what he does, and if thats his style, well I'm not the one who'll compare it with Hollywood and mock it. (You get it - the point is, I'm attacking Hollywood comparison & people who think its better than Bollywood. this is one of those "any" arguments) :)

Anyways, so our discussion proceeded further where I went on to point out that, people often critisize that Bollywood movies forget laws of Physics, gravity etc while putting in effects, but do they notice that Hollywood movies have long forgotten not only the laws of Physics (e.g. Matrix) but also of Chemistry(e.g. Terminator) and Biology(e.g. Jurrasic Park). Then why do we appreciate that and laugh at our own movies?

Another thing that I came up with (I'm very enthusiastic in debates about India, movies etc) -
Terminator has the villian whaterer-his name-was, who liquifies any time he wants, solidifies any time he wants, and takes any human form that he has touched. If anybody was as lousy as I was in my 6th - 7th standard, they must've seen many movies that followed the concept of Icchadhari naag(Takes-the form-it-wants snake [couldn't come up with anything better]). These reptiles were intelligent human-snakes, that could take a form, any form according to their wish, they only had to see the person once. Now doesn't the Terminator concept look like an absolute rip-off of this concept. And I can swear on my life, these snake movies came way before it. Even if it wasn't copied from here, well there you go, if you appreciated & were awed by the fiction & concept that they showed in Terminator, India was already in the been-there-done-that stage!Hah!

So there....!!
I've proved my point!India & bollywood is no less(in fact its more!), and as to giving an answer to the "original" concepts in hollywood movies, we've already done that baby! (YAWWWN) (GRIN)

Sayonara! :)

2 comments:

Mancy said...

heyu r one helluva of a writer..i love u!!!!!!

Shruti said...

@mansi - Hey thanks, coming from you this is a great compliment...I'm honored :)