Thursday, June 14, 2007

Is it just me?

A friend (say S1) came to stay at my place yesterday night and we were cooking dinner. We started discussing about food and how different people cook in different ways(I know pretty lame but what else would we do while cooking....)

Now, to give a little background-her marriage is fixed & she was telling me about the kind of food they prepare at her in-law's place. The following conversation took place. It is in marathi(translation provided) -

S1:
Arre tyachi(her fiance) aai, majhya aai sarakhach jevan banavate...fakt thodya bhajya veglya karte.....ti vangyat danyacha kut taakte.....etc..

(His(her fiance) mom, cooks food the same style my mom does...except for some vegetables that she cooks differently.....she puts groundnut powder in eggplant.....etc..)

Me:
uuhhh...uuhhh
(Nodding along)

S1:
mala tevadha fakt shikava lagel...
(I'll just have to learn those things that she cooks differently)

Me:
changala aahe na mag!
(that's really good then!)

Me(thinking inside):
Shit!shit!shit! She is soo ready to get married! She's jus an year older to me. Look at me, I cannot even imagine eating something that tastes & is cooked differently from what my mom makes. It freaks me out to even think that I have to learn stuff formally from a Saas (mother-in-law) and cook like her. (I was pretty much freaked out even then!)

It suffocates me to think I have to go live wth a new family and call them my family...follow their rules & regulations...behave like an adult, mature person...know stuff about running kitchen & house...be ready to hear things from in-laws patiently...not be a rebel that I've always been and probably always will be...

OMG, OMG, OMG !!!!!!!!!!!

Relax Shruti.....breath in-breath out, breath in -breath out, breath in-breath out....
phhheeewwww!

I think I might have died just now due to suffocation....but I'm okay now!Anways...so in the end I'm thinking, is it just me who freaks out like this?Is there no one else?!!

7 comments:

Chintan said...

hehe...you have been watching a lot of saas-bahu stuff for sure... Soemtimes, you have to accept the things as they come by...I think what ur problem is though, you think too much...just relax and take life as it comes by...u'll eventually get thru' all this...but one thing is for sure...being a girl, u have to accept a certain things and adjust with ur in-laws...
just my thoughts :)

Amortya Ray said...

You and rebel! LMAO!

Surya said...

i looooooooove ekta K.. she makes things so easy for the S n B's

FifthBeatle said...

I'm kinda freaked about getting married too -- though I don't see that happening for like another gazillion and then some years!

But I don't get the whole "follow their rules", "call them *my* family" stuff... Who says you have to? You're marrying the person -- not his/her family?!!

Shruti said...

@Chintan: Maybe I do think a lot :)
But yeah it is scary yaaar :)

@Amortya: Please save your a** from laughing so much...I've observed ppl like you laugh like this, when they feel which was(read believed to be) their territory, being also dominated by others :P

@Surya: I don't watch them..should I?Will they make things easy for me? :)

@Arnold: In India atleast, the proverbial - "girl marries the family not just the groom" stands true!! :)
And more so in arrange marriages :)
You gotta be girl to understand that ;)

Mancy said...

hey..u echo my thoughts girl!! i too am terribly scared to get married. Although i dont see myself getting married for another 4-5 yrs. Do i think too much too? Or maybe I am not the quintessential Indian girl.I am more of a rebel. What is there in store for me? God only knows!!

Shruti said...

@mansi - I think we both have an habit of thinking too much....You and me mirror each other in thoughts...I think we have enough proofs ;)