Thursday, December 08, 2011

Home Sweet Home

I have decided to open up my home to you guys! Don't ask why. Did you question why you own that fabulous dress, or why you saw a beautiful sunset, or why you've been traveling to exotic places (if you are btw, would love to know about it!) or why you won that lottery? Good things just happen. For no reason.

Here's a secret - there is no way in hell that my entire home is ready to be photographed and posted on the WORLD WIDE WEB at any given point in the time space continuum. There are only special co-ordinates of space and time when some room in my home may be close to decent. The chink in the armor (of mess). Such moments are rare and priceless and they rock my world.

The point of it all being - today it's just the kitchen. Here it is. Voila.


The pictures quality isn't the greatest. I know. But. I could not let you guys look at a clear picture and figure out where all the mess is hiding. But I am not done with the kitchen yet, you see. I have yet to point out to you all the awesome, creative sh*t going on in there (that I want to, but cannot take full credit for. Ideas came from everywhere, when I started complaining about the size of the kitchen, because one - lets face it, it leans towards what experts call - cozy spaces and two - It's really SMALL).

Tip #1 - Maximum use of Wall spaces.
Tip #2 - Maximum use of IKEA
Tip #3 - Container Store has awesome stuff for kitchen

To sum it all up. I have this narrow kitchen with just one wall of cabinets. No pantry. To top it off, that cabinet towards the end is blocked by the Refrigerator. Which means, I cannot be keeping everyday stuff in there. I was stumped for some time with the kitchen. But then, I started browsing IKEA. It has been my goto for all the the stuff in my home. I LOVE it. 

That's how I came up with the idea of this wall rack to keep my everyday cooking utensils. Yes, they are larger than usual. What can I say, Small kitchen, Big utensils. That's how life goes! I think the best surprise was I was able to use if for lids. I never know where to put those.




I also used the space right above the stove, to keep oil, salt and pepper, so that I have easy and quick access to those while cooking. This was a friend's idea. Brilliant. (Also a torch, for emergencies).


More use of wall space to keep bounty and cleaning stuff over the sink -


I found these amazing things in the Container store. They basically double up my shelf height. And yes, I do use steel utensils. It wasn't tasting like real Indian food until, I ate it on these. Shoot me.




So there you have it. My kitchen. And part of the story behind it. The other part is, it took me weeks (not kidding) to figure all these solutions out and then some more weeks to actually install them. Basically, the building I live in has WEIRD walls. Some spots the nail will bend, but not go in. And some spots, it will go right in and slide right out. In US, you cannot just have someone come and do it for ya and you pay them something minimal like 10 bucks. No sir. Everything is DIY (Do it Yourself). I suppose you can still get people to do this, but their rates might by sky-high, which I could not afford. These are the times, when I miss India so much. (There are other, more meaningful times too, like when I miss my India for family reasons. But there are these times too. A lot of them. You gotta take what you get).




So, that's how it went down in my kitchen. I will come back with more stories for the rest of the home too. Soon. As soon as I can get to clearing that mess. It's like it has a life of it's own. I clear out one room and it appears in the other. It's like energy, it cannot be destroyed, only transformed. 

See how I was saying married life isn't easy. And you all thought I was talking about M.

PS: All this home stuff - all part of the nesting syndrome ya'll!

4 comments:

rani said...

Love what you have done with the kitchen. So neat!

Am looking forward to more posts like these. :)

Shruti said...

Rani - Thank you! It took me fair amount of time to get it in order..And it was a fun process!

I am excited to post more projects I did around the home..Just as soon as I get rid of all the mess ;)!!

I want to read about your experience of managing a home (with a boy living there too)....Write something soon! :)

Nancy said...

Love your comment: I clear out one room and it appears in the other. It's like energy, it cannot be destroyed, only transformed.

Shruti said...

Nancy - Haha...It's totally true! :)